Capital Campaign and Expansion
On May 12, 2015, Crisis Nursery announced that it is in the midst of a $1.9 million capital campaign to expand our building and staffing to meet the increasing demand for services. In conjunction with the announcement, Presence Covenant Medical Center donated 8 parcels of land to Crisis Nursery, providing ownership of the land on which the Nursery now resides and sufficient land surrounding the building to expand. On October 22, 2015, a groundbreaking ceremony was held at Crisis Nursery and Broeren Russo Builders, Inc. began construction the following week. As of today, the Nursery has raised $1.31 million so far. The goal of the campaign is to increase capacity by 50%, with the ability to serve up to 18 children at once, and reduce the incidence of turning families away by 90%, through construction of an approximately 5,000 square foot expansion. The expansion will also provide additional meeting space for groups and counseling within our Strong Families program.
Since opening our doors on July 9, 1984, Crisis Nursery has worked to prevent child abuse and neglect in Champaign County by providing emergency care for children and support to strengthen families in crisis. Services are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to all families in Champaign County with a child ages birth through six, with no fees or income eligibility. During our first year of operation, the Nursery served 191 children. This past fiscal year, Crisis Nursery served 886 children and provided nearly 29,000 hours of crisis care. Since 1984, the Nursery has served nearly 17,000 children.
Despite serving 886 children last year, there were nearly 600 instances where families called Crisis Nursery asking for help, and we had to turn them away because we were at capacity. While we carefully assess the level of risk for the child, turning families away is always a concern. Each time we have to say “no”, there is the potential for harm to come to a child and we can never guarantee their complete safety when we have to turn them away.
I am excited about what this expansion will mean for Crisis Nursery and the community we serve every day. Please, consider joining the campaign today in response to this need so Crisis Nursery can say YES to more families when they need us the most. Click here to view our Capital Campaign case statement. At Crisis Nursery, we believe that asking for help is a sign of strength – and with your help, Crisis Nursery will become a stronger resource for children and families in Champaign County. I welcome you to call or visit the Nursery to learn more about our plans for the future.
Stephanie Record, Ed.M., LCSW
Rendering provided by RATIO Architects, Champaign.
The expansion will:
- Add two indoor play areas: an area for older children and a gym space with slides, a climbing structure, and indoor track for riding bikes year-round
- Add one bedroom, two full bathrooms, and one half bathroom
- Expand the kitchen, including additional storage and seating to alleviate overcrowding during meal times
- Add two new private offices, a shared office space, and a meeting space for conducting family meetings and groups
- Add two rooms for conducting private client intake interviews, referrals, or counseling
- Increase storage for clothing and toys, a linen closet, additional space for in-kind donations, and additional secure client file storage
- Improve outside playground/play areas with enhanced safety features
- Add additional parking and improve access/safety for child drop-off and pick-up
- Increase client, staff, and visitor safety by adding a secure lobby/waiting area for clients and families
Join the Campaign
Donate today and help Crisis Nursery build a stronger future for more children and families in Champaign County! Here's how you can support the campaign:
- Send your one-time gift in the mail to Crisis Nursery, 1309 W. Hill St., Urbana, IL 61801. Download a pledge card or just include a note that your donation supports the campaign. Every dollar brings us one step closer to reaching our goal!
- Donate online via our secure donation page - one time or recurring gifts accepted. For "My donation is made in response to:" choose Other and type Campaign.
- Download a pledge card or call 217-337-2731 for information on how to pledge your support over time - campaign pledges are payable over 1-5 years with flexible start dates and a variety of payment options available.
- Become a monthly donor - sign up for our automated ACH donation program and let us count on you. Click here to download an ACH form.
- Come visit the Nursery to see more of what we do. Nursery staff are always happy to give tours and share our story during administrative office hours, Monday-Friday 8am-5pm. Call 217-337-2731 to schedule a tour. Don't forget to ask for a magnet while you're here!
- Spread the word! Tell your friends and family that you support our “Island of Safety” for children and families in Champaign County.
The goal of the Capital Campaign is to raise a total of $1.9 million necessary for facility and staffing expansion. Our first target was to raise $1.4 million to build the expansion. As of August 9, 2016, we've raised $1.48 million. With the funds to expand the facility secured, we will raise an additional $500,000 to support the increased personnel needed to staff the building and serve more children and families. We are currently at 78% of our overall goal.
"Island of Safety" Leadership Circle
Many thanks to everyone who has supported the project so far, especially our “Island of Safety” Leadership Circle donors who have each contributed at least $25,000 to the campaign. With the kindness and generosity of many people in our community, Crisis Nursery will be able to serve more children and families in the near future and further our mission of preventing child abuse and neglect in Champaign County. Thank you!