Join the Team!
“Crisis Nursery gives us a chance to be proactive and to try to prevent child abuse before it happens…That's why we're very passionate about it. If you prevent one kid from being abused, the running is worth it.”
–Adam Dill, former Board Member, on running the 2012 Illinois Marathon to raise money for Crisis Nursery
Are you participating in a running or endurance event this year*? Whether it’s your first 5K or tenth triathlon, consider joining our Miles for Smiles Team and give new purpose to your training by raising money for Crisis Nursery! In addition to completing your race goal, you’ll have the satisfaction of knowing that you are helping children and families in our community who have nowhere else to turn.
Crisis Nursery creates an "Island of Safety" dedicated to the prevention of child abuse and neglect by providing 24-hour emergency care for children and support to strengthen families in crisis. We depend on generous businesses and individuals like you to ensure our doors stay open 24-hours a day, 365 days a year. The money you raise will go towards our Safe Children
and Strong Families
When at full capacity, it costs $1,800 a day to keep the Nursery open. Our yearly goal for Miles for Smiles is to raise $12,600-- enough to support a week at the Nursery!
We encourage you to set an individual goal that you feel is appropriate and comfortable for you. Consider setting your sights high and sponsoring A Day at the Nursery
by raising $1,800!
*If you are running the 2013 Christie Clinic Illinois Marathon, visit Crisis Nursery’s official fundraising page here for more information on joining the team or donating.
Are you ready?
1) Contact Special Events Coordinator Heather Wienke at firstname.lastname@example.org or 217-337-2731 to sign-up for Miles for Smiles.
2) Visit Crisis Nursery’s FirstGiving site to start your own fundraising page. Click on the green “Start Fundraising” box in the upper right-hand corner, and follow the steps. You will be asked to register with FirstGiving and customize your fundraising page—personalize it by uploading a picture, adding details about your race, and sharing why you decided to run for Crisis Nursery.
3) Invite family, friends, and colleagues to support your training and fundraising efforts. Click here for a sample solicitation letter/email. Some unique fundraising ideas include: keep a training log/blog online and ask followers to donate $.50/$1/$5 for each mile run…consider asking for donations in lieu of a birthday or anniversary gift… many workplaces will sponsor you or match donations… ask all of your Facebook friends to donate a small amount… the options are limitless!
4) Train for and run your race!
5) Feel great about finishing your race, and all the smiles you've helped bring to a child’s face!